A Visiting Research Student (VRS) is enrolled at the University to undertake full-time research with a faculty supervisor for a period of no more than six (6) months per 12 month period. Students may be undergraduate, graduate, or in between degree levels. The student will not be enrolled in any credit coursework at the U of S.

A visiting research student is not eligible to be admitted again as a visiting research student until at least 6 months after the previous VRS admission has concluded.


Before applying a Visiting Research Student must have:

  • an identified U of S faculty supervisor,
  • a research plan 

Admissions process

  1. Your application and research plan will be reviewed
  2. Once the application is approved an official letter of acceptance will be sent to you by email as a PDF attachment. The supervisor will be notified when this happens.
  3. The letter of acceptance can be used to support your application for a study permit. Though not required by CIC for periods of study six months or less, international visiting research students are encouraged to obtain a study permit. Where faculty intend to remunerate research activity, you must obtain a study permit and apply for a SIN on arrival in Canada
  4. The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) will be notified of your acceptance, and will provide you with immigration, pre-arrival and arrival support

General information

  1. You will be registered by CGPS in a non-credit activity which denotes that you are a full time student engaged in academic research
  2. You will be assessed off-campus student fees and will have access to limited U of S student services.  You may elect to enroll in the Health, Dental and U-Pass plans
  3. Upon completion of the research plan, a Visiting Research Student will be assigned a CR (Completed Requirement) for satisfactory completion of the research objectives or an F (Fail).
  4. An official transcript of your visiting research studies may be ordered

Students who wish to register in other courses or stay longer than six months must pursue other admission options such as admission as a non-degree student  or a joint student. Please contact ISSAC for other options, including those for undergraduate students.