Before applying a Visiting Research Student must have:
- an identified U of S faculty supervisor,
- a research plan
- Your application and research plan will be reviewed
- Once the application is approved an official letter of acceptance will be sent to you by email as a PDF attachment. The supervisor will be notified when this happens.
- The letter of acceptance can be used to support your application for a study permit. Though not required by CIC for periods of study six months or less, international visiting research students are encouraged to obtain a study permit. Where faculty intend to remunerate research activity, you must obtain a study permit and apply for a SIN on arrival in Canada
- The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) will be notified of your acceptance, and will provide you with immigration, pre-arrival and arrival support
- You will be registered by CGPS in a non-credit activity which denotes that you are a full time student engaged in academic research
- You will be assessed off-campus student fees and will have access to limited U of S student services. You may elect to enroll in the Health, Dental and U-Pass plans
- Upon completion of the research plan, a Visiting Research Student will be assigned a CR (Completed Requirement) for satisfactory completion of the research objectives or an F (Fail).
- An official transcript of your visiting research studies may be ordered
Students who wish to register in other courses or stay longer than six months must pursue other admission options such as admission as a non-degree student or a joint student. Please contact ISSAC for other options, including those for undergraduate students.