Science without Borders Scholarship
Science without Borders is a large scale nationwide scholarship program primarily funded by the Brazilian federal government. These scholarships are available to Brazilian citizens who are living in Brazil. Brazilian students are eligible to apply for Science without Borders scholarships administered by CNPq and CAPES to pursue any of the following at the University of Saskatchewan:
- Full PhD program, lasting up to 4 years - Students must hold either a strictu sensu master’s degree from a Brazilian university or other qualification making them eligible to begin a doctoral program.
- Sandwich / Joint Student Program of doctoral research lasting up to 12-months - Potential “sandwich program” students should be currently enrolled as doctoral candidates in Brazil and have completed the first year of study.
- Postdoctoral research of 6 to 24 months’ duration - Those interested in postdoctoral research at the University of Saskatchewan should have completed their PhD in Brazil at the time of application.
Applying for admission to the U of S
- Full degree PhD program applicants should follow the steps found at how to apply.
- Registered students at a Brazilian university who are applying to come to the U of S for a "sandwich period of research" under the supervision of a U of S faculty member should apply as Joint Student Non Degree Program.
If you require assistance with finding a suitable faculty research partner, please contact Ms. Le Li.
Students and applicants for postdoctoral fellowships must identify themselves as a Science without Borders (SWB) applicant to the Graduate Secretary of their chosen program, and to Graduate Recruitment and Liaison Officer at the time of application. This will allow us to ensure your application is identified correctly and the deadlines are met.
Applying for SWB Scholarship
Students interested in full PhD scholarships, “sandwich program” scholarships or postdoctoral fellowships are responsible for their own application to the SWB scholarship and must meet the SWB deadlines. See the Science without Borders website for further details. To complete your SWB application you will need the following documents from the U of S:
- PhD program - C.V. of the proposed U of S Faculty Supervisor and a conditional offer of admission to be submitted with your SWB application. Unconditional offer letter will be supplied after notification of scholarship results, and receipt of all official documents.
- Sandwich program – C.V. of the proposed U of S Faculty Supervisor and a written description of the proposed research activities and timelines. The Faculty supervisor must be a researcher in one of the SWB program priority areas doing work relevant to the student’s doctoral thesis field. Admitted students will receive a conditional offer of admission pending on final approval of SWB funding.
- Postdoctoral program - C.V. of the proposed U of S Faculty Supervisor and a written description of the proposed research activities and timelines. The Faculty Supervisor must also provide a letter of offer, conditional on the applicant receiving the SWB fellowship.